Awakening Part 8

Jan 20 2011

Part 8. Tari just can’t catch a break.

I’m going to rework the index page when I can, and create a logical division in Terra Fabula. Everything before Awakening 1 will be ‘Part 1’ and Awakening 1 through wherever we wind up will comprise a ‘Part 2.’ It’ll also wind up renaming the individual bits from ‘Part x’ to ‘Chapter x.’

Haven’t quite managed to roll together an e-book format, but this way it’ll let me segment off a ‘Part 1: (something descriptive I haven’t come up with yet)’ for a first epub file, and then ‘Part 2: Awakening’ to build on for a second file. Still working on getting the formatting to export nicely.

It was -17F when I woke up this morning; this places my room at about… maybe +40F at eye level. I didn’t feel like checking the thermometer on my floor but a bottle of water was frozen solid. It was a miracle the vehicle started. It was apparently a greater miracle that I haven’t wound up stranded in the last weeks.

Had an appointment to have said brown beastie’s pushbutton 4x4 checked on today; I also had a 9am class. (But more on that in a second.) After classes I called the shop and found out two things:

1) The worm gear on the shift motor was worn out. 2) The advice given to me about “hit the transfer motor with a hammer, it should take care of it” was apparently only ever meant to be a temporary fix. (And, I might add, it worked every time except this last time.) The sensor cover was cracked, too.

So there goes $300; new tires (the back pair are balding on the inside tread. It’s no wonder I can’t back out of my driveway) are probably another 600. And last week the bushings on the radius arms were replaced - another $200. All this for what was originally a $600 vehicle.

Oh well. Gotta have it working, now that I’ve re-enrolled in college classes. Back in ‘the day’ (circa… 1998-2004?) I was a part time student, attempting to major in Computer Science. For a variety of reasons I won’t bore anyone with I wound up not finishing that degree. A month or so back I finally decided it was time to do something about that and had my transcript sent up to the local college here in Bottineau. Despite the terrible things on said transcript they enrolled me anyway.

Their programs don’t include a computer science degree; the closest they have is ‘Information Technology.’ I’ve built more computers than I care to admit, programmed in C++, Visual Basic, assembler, Perl, PHP… Unfortunately part of their requirements for a 2-year degree include an Intro to Computers class. Not everyone who comes to school routinely uses (or even wants to use) a computer, and they need to make sure everyone at least has a baseline. I understand the reasoning for it, and I could probably test out of this particular course. (Next week we’re going to open a computer and see what’s inside! Whee!) But part of this course also covers Office 2010, and I’m not as proficient in those applications as I could be.

I’m also taking a separate pair of classes (Word Processing, Spreadsheets) that are supposed to be like second-semester followups to this class. Beyond these, an Information Security class and a Desktop Publishing class (using InDesign CS5) round out the weekly schedule.

Good ole assembler :>

Oh, good luck and have fun. As well as make plenty of practice in MS Word and Excel for us.

Some idle thoughts, how do two species ever make contact. How do they find each other? How did they find Earth? Are there massive flybys of every star system, are they sending ships to a million, a billion different stars to see if life has arisen on a planet there?

Interesting question.

I’d guess it’s a number of factors. My guesses:

• Space exploration in classical sense. To boldly go …
    • Probes. Pretty smart ones too.
    • A species just crossing the light barrier is pretty noisy - Warp signatures and stuff - before they get a grip on he tech and get more efficient. A bit like SETI but listening for FTL signals since every species that reaches FTL will eventually overtake t heir radio signals easily.
      • Maybe the way FTL works forces them to cooperate …
      • SETI Style programs for Radio. Interesting case since that way a species may find another before they are able to do anything about it.

An interesting line of thought would be a case where two species (living closely together - maybe same solar system?) discover each other long before they discover space flight.

Actually I meant how did they find Earth. And likely any other non-space travel civilization. Also radio signals disperse the farther they go, eventually they become really hard to distinguish compared to background noise. Though I would guess they are using massive telescopes far better than Earth’s to scan each star system for planets orbiting stars. Still that’s not going to mean they don’t have to visit thousands or millions of them.

And there comes my negative temperatures in the area, going to get to -17F or lower tonight.

Although I suppose that the number of species out there is very dense given what I suspect has already been given. on the order of a hundred million or maybe 10 billion+ inhabited star systems.

Well yes, some species are quite dense.

How did they find earth? Dunno. Maybe someone boldly went … Our (weak) radio signal haven’t made it all that far yet.

Wonder if hes still alive, or if the school work has eaten him.

Maybe one of those life things got them?

Lol, someone who comes pretty regularly too it seems. But as I said maybe his homework ate him. Wonder if that ever comes up with the kitsune/art users in his universe, I’m sorry teacher i can’t turn in my homework today, i had to kill it as it was trying to eat me.

Actually I managed to remember to check the notify box so I had you comment in my mail. Not that I don’t check this site regularly.

Oh and somehow I was reminded of this: