A day off

Oct 04 2009

Been working a lot of Sundays as of late, trying to get things done before the snow is piled up in front of my door. Today though, I’m a hundred miles from home, with nothing precise to accomplish. Lunch will at some point be on the agenda, but until then:

Flashpoint - minor language bits. I think I also added some small hints about the growing emotional connection between Jadyn and Tari to this or Intentions, that will be much better explained later on. (Yes, I’ve actually started planning ahead. Shocked me, too)

Intentions - minor language bits, a significant tidbit added near the beginning regarding the attack on the Serin. It also would appear that January 5th is Jadyn’s Terran birthday. I’ll have to fix my spreadsheet (which would also require installing the application) but as far as I can remember that particular calendar date lines up with his Val’Traxan birthday only on the actual day of his birth.

Dissemination - language bits. A little bit of exposition involving alien anatomy. I’ve for a long time grappled with how much sexual content to show in my works. I’ve written quite a fair amount of erotic content (again, keep in mind, when I first started writing I was a teenager with raging hormones and this was my outlet ^_^ ) but I’ve never posted it for a variety of reasons:

1. My old hosting provider may not have appreciated that sort of content. I don’t believe the current one would care, so this is sort of a write-off.
  2. At the time, I was underage. Probably not a good idea to post that sort of content when I’m 15. Again, no longer an issue. Long since no longer an issue… Christ, I’m going to be 30 in another month and a half.
  3. People I actually know may read this and I’m not entirely sure how that makes me feel.
  4. People I don’t actually know may read this, and I’m not entirely sure how that makes me feel, either.

All in all there’s a lot of erotic literature out there on the internet, some of it VERY well written (sex comes secondary to the story, or is intertwined with it in such a way as to not detract from the story) and some of it not so well done. All in all, sex is an important part of human nature, regardless of how we try to hide it. I’m just not sure where I personally should draw the line in the sand. The idea ‘if you can’t show it to your mother, you shouldn’t show anyone’ may be fitting, but as she hasn’t seen most of this work in over 10 years I’m not really following that rule either.

By the way, if anyone would find it convenient, I can post links to the text-only versions of what I’ve already put up. I’ve stopped littering my internal documents with HTML markup for formatting and am purely using Markdown. It’s easier to read without <i>Formatting Codes</i> scattered all over the place.

Woah, lots of updates, now i’ll have to start checking every few days again, as to the erotic stuff. You should post it so we have the complete works.

I’ll see what I can do. The “current” (hah) main story never held a great deal of it, so at present the track I’m following probably won’t contain much. I remember having an expansion of the hot tub scene but I haven’t been able to find it in five years. I think I originally wrote it on a TI-99 calculator. The backup could be anywhere >.<

Everything else was in a few detours I made to try and make some concrete facts, both in the future and the past. Growing Up as originally written did contain Jadyn and Melichanni’s first time together. That entire storyline however has some serious work ahead of it to bring it up to where I want it. (And to fix continuity)

As to updates, I’m going to attempt to settle on Fridays as a day to post things, be it a chapter or a note saying it’ll be late.

Someone working on stories during math class when they were 15? So did the word blog even exist back then.

15 would have been 1995, but at that point Tari didn’t even exist yet. I think I got the calculator in ‘97. I believe the term ‘blog’ was coined in ‘97 or ‘98. Technically her using the term is okay as the word did exist in 2000 but not in widespread usage. She probably shouldn’t be familiar with the term just yet but maybe the last person she was hanging out with had a geeky streak.

5. Darius Greywind says:

Please don’t post ‘erotic’ stories, unless they are clearly marked and are not required reading to understand the story. Otherwise I can’t be bothered to edit it out myself and would simply have to stop reading.

As to the other, text would be ideal. I never read stories online, it’s uncomfortable when done for long periods. They all wind up ASCII-fied and transferred to my N800 anyways.

Well part of it was I just want to see the complete thing, as to them being integral to the story, there were never any posted that I can recall.

The main thing I was concerned about was if it’d interfere with the enjoyment of the rest of the work. Thanks for the input, Darius.

Well, I don’t think it would interfere at all if it was extra/optional.

9. Darius Greywind says:

As long as it is optional, that’s fine. It’s depressing when I come across an interesting story, only to find out as I’m reading it that it’s full of squick.

Trackback URL for this entry