Miavirs index

Aug 01 2009

I don’t have the url under fingertip At this moment but last week when I peeked it seemed as though miavirs index was basically abandoned. Is there a replacement or a better community that has taken it’s place?

1. hans44 says:

Miavir’s archive still exists @ http://furry.de/miavir/stories.html

All of the mirrors have been shut down for various reasons.

If there is a new/better/occasionally updated site somewhere, I also would like to know.

Miavir has been dead a long time. it makes things harder to find. Don’t know of any real replacements.

Hm. Might be a fall project then, resurrect it. You know, with the hours of free time I have. :/ We’ll chalk that up on the ‘to-do’ list.

4. I’d hope that any replacement would be better organized. Finding stuff on that site was a tedious chore. Plus it could’ve used user reviews or something, cause a lot of stuff linked was basically crap.

But I sure haven’t seen anything that even tries to do the same thing, so sure, go for it.

Yeah. I’ve got experience doing database and web coding with perl scripts, and I think I’d like to learn Ruby at some point. The big thing would be going through all the existing links over there and trimming out the ones that have gone away.

Rating would be interesting too, unless the link was stuffed into a frame… And then comes the question, do you link directly to a text, or to the page before it (in case the host in question uses ads on their site)… I’m all for less ads on the stuff I look at, but at the same token some people live off them.

Well, 90+% of those links are dead and no longer work. it’s been 6 years i think since it was updated.

7. hans44 says:

Yeah. I remember trying to read one story on there once. It had a main link and 6 mirrors.

Not a single link worked.

8. otrstf says:

You might see if mia is still responding to email and offer. There has never been anything as useful, in my opinion.

We exchanged a few messages back in 2002 or so, and I got the feeling that ‘real life’ and the amount of effort to ‘catch up’ was interfering with updating the site.

Miavir did have help but a lot of the problem was the fact that there is no database. http://furry.de/miavir/stories/status.html

Unfortunately, the sheer size of the Database is going beyond what the original software was designed to handle, at present I’m using a perl script that parses all the data, then indexes it and writes out all the web-pages.

Trackback URL for this entry