Quick update

Oct 11 2015

Orthopedic specialist referred me to occupational therapy (which I’ve always called physical therapy, but I’m sure there’s a reason for the difference in terminology). Wrist is doing better. I’m still missing a sizable portion of the former flexibility, and the hand strength is abysmal. Uninjured hand can grip his little measuring device at 135 pounds, but the injured one topped out at 47.

After 8 hours at a keyboard for work plus the OT exercises it’s pretty sore in the evenings, and the weekends have been busy with other personal and/or family things. This is actually the first weekend in a while that I’ve been able to get stuff done around my own place.

A couple things I’ve picked up that can be done one-handed or limited two-handed:

• A combination of factors (several videos shared via twitter, a coworker talking about it on occasion, and a general curiosity about the game’s story) led me to try out EVE Online. It’s not a fast-twitch style game, which is nice because fast twitches really hurt right now. It’s also a big sci-fi sandbox where the players have made most of the rules on top of the basic game universe rules.
    While all of the terrible things everyone has heard are true to an extent (in-game scams, thefts, and so on), it’s part of the emergent gameplay experiment this thing has turned into. Also, and perhaps in despite of that, there are some genuinely helpful people (P.S. Thanks again for the trial key! you know who you are) if you get lucky enough to stumble across them. The major takeaway for the game content and interactions has been ‘don’t trust anyone that you don’t have a reason to trust, and maybe not even then’. I normally give people the benefit of the doubt, and that seems like a good way to get burned in EVE.

• I’ve been working large tracts of storyline events and out-of-scene history into a timeline tool called Aeon Timeline. Picked it up on a sale a while back and hadn’t found time to figure it out. Since that’s another thing I can do mostly with a mouse and some copy-pasting for context, I’ve been taking the opportunity to learn it and get the timeline more organized, especially since there are chunks where effect precedes cause.

Newer :

Older :

Arg

Note to self and others: BVN will not save comments unless Cloudflare and bvn are allowed to execute Javascript. Doh.

OK, another try: You could get a chorded keyboard. Or keep training.

Hope things get better soon.

2. Tsunami Sesen says:

Hiya,, how are you doing? Also have you thought of trying a wrist brace on your weak hand while at work/home?

3. Tsunami says:

Been a while any news on your health?

4. K Fox says:

Oh dear…someone got you into EVE. I’m sorry. Sadly, you’ve missed out on any/all of the good that game has ever offered. Anymore, it’s nothing but griefers taking advantage of everyone they can, just for the giggles. I played EVE from 2004 ish until very early last year, but the final 2 years I was ‘playing’ were really just me logging in to keep my toon training. In the end, I walked away from a 180 mil SP toon simply because the game wasn’t fun.

A quote that opened my eyes was “EVE online - the only recreational game that plays like a second job”. And it’s true. Combine that with the disaster of trying to avoid getting scammed in some way, and it just got too tedious to bother with. Hopefully it’s more fun for you, but if not, maybe check out Star Citizen - it’s a whole hell of a lot better of an environment, and quite the entertaining game (watching it being built is fun - much moreso than ‘playing’ EVE was).

K Fox (has quietly lurked for a long time)

I’ve been trying to make a blog post for a while, but wordpress isn’t cooperating. I’m going to be doing a database restore later tonight to see if it helps.

In the meantime - wrist is doing much better but I’m dealing with a major IT upgrade at work as well as another thing I’ll talk about once I get this !#@$ thing working again.